Basic information of my car:
2013 Hyundai Elantra (MD)1.6 high spec
Reasons why I bought this car
Back in 2013, i was planning to get a bigger car to replace my current ride which is also a Hyundai. 2004 Hyundai Getz 1.3 which i owned for 9.5 years.
Car Selection Process
I had a budget of 80k to 100k
Models that I’ve considered included to Toyota Vios, VW polo sedan, Peuogeot 408 2.0
Reasons why I chose this car
I was planning to get the Toyota Vios(NCP150) actually, but back then there is a 3 months waiting list. So cancelled (lucky i cancel the purchase as the Vios was quite kosong & crampy). I also test drive the Volkswagen Polo sedan. It was crampy in the front seats. This is due to the center console was very big and i have to squeeze my both legs when driving. Is not comfortable at all. I didn’t test drive the Peugeot 408 because it was …. ugly…. Reason choosing the Elantra; 1. C segment – spacious for Japanese B segment price 2. easy & cheap spare parts (i know because i drove Hyundai for 9.5 years) 3. more safety features (4 channel ABS, EBD, ESP, auto / manual shiftronic) 4. 6 speed automatic (torque converter) 5. nice looking among all the model i have considered.
- I have already done 140000km.
- My average fuel consumption is 8L/100km.
Since the purchase, my thoughts about the car are confortable, spacious, good looking. Most important less trouble. Just wear N tear issue. After owning the car more than 8 years, parts that have been change are, 1. engine mounting (RM500++) 2. lower arm (RM 300++) 3. Radiator fan (RM300++) 4. steering clock spring (RM300++) 5. ABS brake pump – used part (RM800) – Brake pump is actually my own faulty as the brake fluid never change over 100,000 mileage. absorber? still ok. i think thats it. Price above are not included installation. Cheap right? who says Korean car parts are expensive & hard to find? Just search in Shopee or Lazada….. it is every where. Don’t trust anything from a person who never ever own a Korean car but talk bad about Korean car.
Pros of my car:
- Nice looking, spacious, comfortable, leather seats & pack with safety features for a car that available in the year 2013.
- No wind noise from the windows even after 8 years. If you have extra cash, put on a bodykit & set of bigger rims it will look like a sport car.
Cons of my car:
- 1.6 litre for C segment feels underpowered.
- Rear suspension are torsion beam setup. You will experienced fish tail effect on uneven surface during cornening. To counter this, just install a rear anti roll bar & will solve the problem
- There are 2 parts which on the steering will confirm 100% need to be replace.
1. clock spring
2. steering flexible coupling
Total Score: 4
Quality & Features: 4
Ride Comfort: 4
Fuel Economy: 4
Price & Cost: 5
Hyundai Elantra MD is a car that comes in a nice package. Price of B segment, size of C segment & features of D segment car. Unfortunately, you cannot have this kind of package anymore nowadays. A brand new Elantra 1.6 NA engine will cost you a price of a Honda CRV 1.5t…